Multi-Equal Stakeholderism (was Re: [bestbits] Joint civil society endorsements for London meeting of High-Level Panel)

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Mon Dec 2 20:20:24 EST 2013

McTim [2013-11-30 18:19]:
>> , since many would say the IETF is not multi-stakeholder all,
>>

> I've never met anyone who has ever said that.  Are you actually trying to
> make that claim?

I'm curious, McTim: Has IETF ever made the claim that it is
multi-stakeholder?  Given the numerous documents in which IETF processes
are described in great detail, is there any official IETF document where
IETF refers to itself/its processes, etc., using that word?  I can't
find references in any Internet draft, RFC, etc., to IETF itself/its
processes being multi-stakeholder.[1]

  [1]: http://goo.gl/443gya

The closest I can find is a recent blog post by Jari Arkko in which he
states:

> "Some of you may have heard the term “multi-stakeholder” and thought about it as an abstract concept. But it is a very real concept, and one that we have to employ when developing any significant Internet technology."

Where the "we" presumably is the IETF.

Otherwise, the other things that IETF documents have referred to as
"multi-stakeholder", include:
  * ICANN (draft-diao-aip-dns / draft-housley-rfc2050bis-01.txt)
  * "Internet Numbers Registry System" (RFC 7020)
  * IGF (draft-bollow-ectf-07)
  * Internet governance (draft-hill-itr-non-accession-harmful-00)

Regards,
Pranesh
--
Pranesh Prakash