[bestbits] Cross-posting on IGC

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Mon Dec 2 19:55:28 EST 2013

Dear all,
There's been a lot of cross-posting between this list (not counting
summit@, etc.) and the IGC. A quick round up shows:

  * 740 mails sent to the IGC list which have also been sent to this list
    * 520 of those were since 2013-09-01.
  * 2180 mails sent to the IGC list since 2013-09-01.

This means roughly 1/4 of all mails sent to the IGC list since September
1, 2013, were also sent to Best Bits list.

  * 632 mails sent to the Best Bits list have also been sent to the IGC list
    * 457 of those were since 2013-09-01.
  * 1290 mails sent to the Best Bits list since 2013-09-01.

This means that more than 1/3 of all mails sent to the Best Bits list
since September 1, 2013, were also sent to the IGC list.

====

I really don't see the point in having separate lists if:

a) The people on both are overlapping to a large extent;
b) The discussions on both lists are going to not only be similar, but
are going to be the same.

While cross-posting is sometimes inevitable, I urge that we try and keep
it to a minimum.  If that isn't really possible given the overlapping
concerns, I feel we need to question the need for a separate list.

Regards,
Pranesh

--
Pranesh Prakash