[bestbits] Call to Best Bits participants for nominations to Brazil meeting committees

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 03:18:28 EST 2013

Hi,

My understanding of the way that criterion would operate is that not all
members of a committee or slate of candidates will have to fulfill it. It
is rather for an addition, or making sure at least one of the selected
group is of that type. So the whole group will have to work together and
come up with a balanced outcome.

Now I hear your point regarding the kind of person you think wouldn't make
a good representative. But whoever is making the selection of those
candidates/representatives will make their decision on individual by
individual basis. Nothing says they have to retain a candidate put forward
for the unique reason that they are affiliated to an under-represented
constituency or view. If there are other issues or flaws with their
candidacy and the selecting committee feel they can publicly present those
as justifiable reasons to rule them out, then they may perfectly do so and
assume the responsibility for it (I might even understand why they would
rule someone out if they present sound reasons for that.)

I would hope, though, that you're not assuming that from all possible
under-represented views/groups, there may only be people who do NOT have
the "big tent" mindset and cannot work with people with different views
from theirs. I think among the rest of the criteria presented earlier,
there is at least one that makes also clear that the candidates need to be
able to reach out to the broader CS or even to other groups, etc. That may
also be taken into account while choosing one from an under-represented
group.

Last, I'm afraid the argument in your first para. below, as worded, could
be interpreted as the equivalent of another argument (in another context)
that consists of telling the poor, or acting as if to tell the poor: "Don't
worry getting yourself out of poverty by trying to speak for yourself (for
instance, by trying to expose the structural imbalances that maintain the
conditions causing poverty,) just be content with us taking care of your
needs as we understand them (by maintaining and feeding in the public aid
apparatus so that you can get something to eat everyday while we enjoy
self-gratification for doing good)." I'm just drawing your attention to the
fact that it sounds close enough to be understood that way by a number of
people; the adds in parentheses are there only to bring out fully what is
possibly being understood by the other party (be it the poor himself or
just someone holding the counter-argument.)

Therefore I would suggest the proposed criterion to be added, keeping in
mind it can be operated on as I have outlined above.
Thanks,

Mawaki

*Mawaki Chango, PhD*
*Founder & Principal, DIGILEXIS Consulting*
http://www.digilexis.com
m.chango at digilexis.com
twitter.com/digilexis
twitter.com/dig_mawaki