[bestbits] Call to Best Bits participants for nominations to Brazil meeting committees

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Dec 23 10:59:43 EST 2013

Hi,

I guess I believe that everyone appointed to a task, to a committee,
should do their best to make sure all views from CS are represented to
the best of their ability and understanding.  And of course they will be
able to argue from their personal perspective as well and be able to
better represent that perspective when that is the appropriate thing.
My view of the successful CS representative is someone who can express
both their own views and the views of others, and while giving
transparent verbal emphasis to their own view I also expect then to be
able to make sure that CS views that aren't represented already are
acknowledged, understood and taken into account.

But no, I do not beleive any representative can be singular in their
representation and only repesent the view they came in with.  I beleive
that on becoming the chosen one of a group, the group becomes the entity
they are accountable to and its diversity views its responsibility.

But yes, the big-tent has to allow for all views to be discussed.

avri