[bestbits] Call to Best Bits participants for nominations to Brazil meeting committees

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Mon Dec 23 10:38:12 EST 2013

Hi Avri,

On 12/23/2013 07:45 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that this of course makes sense as a criteria, but i caution
> us against allowing a single view, a theoretically specific view, to
> stand-in for the diversity that is the  Civil Society viewpoint.  Many
> time I think the reference to 'under-represented' view is synonymous
> with 'the view I and a few friends have that no one else agrees with'.
>
> I.e. when picking representatives, we need to pick people who are also
> not so extreme in the singularity of their view that they cancel out
> the views of others who also minority viewpoints.  Even people with
> minority views need to take a big-tent view if they are to represent
> the diversity of CS view adequately

If we agree that there are under represented groups, then CS needs to
help them participate. Can we agree on this as an important principle
for CS? It seems obvious then, that as we include more views, we will
have more and more diverse set of views.

Can we then burden these groups with the need to 'represent diversity of
CS views adequately'?  Is it not fair for them to represent their views
(since these are  under represented). Would this burden not end up in
shutting these voices out? One may feel that all groups need to be open
to others views, but not insist that each group should adequately
represent diversity of views.

More importantly, if we agree that many views are indeed under
represented, the so called current 'big tent views' may themselves be
very narrow in their representativeness. Simply by excluding a large set
of voices, we see harmony which is perhaps a mirage. Better we get out
of this mirage and face reality.

> and need to be the sort of people who can be expected to work with
> their fellow CS representatives, and not at cross-purposes.

Avri,
this is a very dangerous argument for pushing the continued dominance of
a narrow set of perspectives on IG. What one disagrees with can be
characterised as being at 'cross purposes'. Give a dog a bad name and
hang it! whereas the very strength and even legitimacy of CS lies in
enabling diverse and even conflicting views to emerge and to be listened
to.  Every time I read about such arguments I fear that CS may be only
ending up supporting 'dominant reasonable views' ('dominant reasonable
views' = hegemony)

I would like you to consider another real life analogy.
In India for decades post independence, only around 30% of children
(from relatively affluent families) went to public schools. In last two
decades, thanks to very very strong public/Government/Community efforts,
enrolment has increased to 98%. However now children from marginalised
groups (previously excluded) attend and teachers feel that while the
earlier classroom situation was very conducive and harmonious, now with
the inclusion of these groups of children, the classroom environment has
become vitiated and ugly.

The fault is not of these children from marginalised groups or their
'minority views', rather the teachers biased views on 'harmony' is the
problem. Inclusion is far more valuable a principle than so called
'harmony' which may only mask mutual back scratching amongst a small
homogeneous group.

regards,
Guru