[bestbits] Reform surveillance

Mike Godwin (mgodwin@INTERNEWS.ORG) mgodwin at INTERNEWS.ORG
Tue Dec 10 17:19:14 EST 2013

On 12/10/13, 4:32 PM, "Kevin Bankston" <bankston at opentechinstitute.org>
wrote:

>To clarify my point: Although I agree with Mike's prioritization, I also
>agree with the general impulse to leverage the NSA scandal to advance a
>broader consumer privacy agenda.  And I definitely share the general
>concern that creating large honeypots of behavioral tracking data creates
>a tempting target for the government.  But I've seen a lot of vague
>overstatements in the press lately on this point, basically saying "this
>is all the fault of the Internet companies' advertising-driven
>data-hoarding practices", so I just felt the need to point out that as
>best I can tell, the types of data and communications content that we
>know the NSA is seeking would exist and be stored and be available even
>if there was no such thing as targeted advertising or behavioral tracking.

I absolutely agree with all of this.

I think building an international consensus on consumer-privacy best
practices is very important. But I worry that it distracts us ‹ at this
critical historical moment ‹ from the fact that bulk data
collection/surveillance is the crack cocaine of governments. We could have
the best international consumer privacy regime possible, and every country
and company in the world could subscribe to it, and governments would
still be sucking up the same data. They¹d just get at it a different way,
probably through regulated industries like telcos, banks, and credit-card
services.

Again, speaking only for myself here.

‹Mike