[bestbits] Reform surveillance

Matthias C. Kettemann matthias.kettemann at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 13:23:11 EST 2013

Dear all,

unfortunately the authors misrepresent the state of internaitonal law and
fail to mention the important documents we already have. They call on "the
United Nations to acknowledge the central importance of protecting civil
rights in the digital age, and to create an international bill of digital
rights."

The Human RIghts Council has already done so in its groundbreaking
resolution 20/8 and the GA in the recent resolution on privacy. We already
have documents enshrining human rights which are applicable in the digital
age - offline just as online.

Kind regards
Matthias

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Anja Kovacs <anja at internetdemocracy.in>wrote:

> [...]
>
> Best,
> Anja
>

> On 10 December 2013 21:54, Gene Kimmelman <genekimmelman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mike, I appreciate your intellectual clarity and segmentation of
>> priorities.  However, as a political matter (particularly for non - US
>> citizens), the companies are practically aiding and abetting the
>> governments until THE COMPANIES reform their practices; I therefore think
>> we need to address both problems, even if one is much more significant as a
>> matter of principle.
>>
>> On Dec 10, 2013, at 11:19 AM, "Mike Godwin (mgodwin at INTERNEWS.ORG)" <
>> mgodwin at INTERNEWS.ORG> wrote:
>>

>> Gene and Mishi, I think it means this for some value of “insists,” but
>> this takes us back to the old debate about “opt-in” versus “opt-out.” This
>> does, in fact, remain a really good debate to have — whether, say, Google
>> should require us to sign in for search, or what the default settings of
>> internet services should be. And so on. But, to me, those remain nuanced
>> discussions. Governments engaging in bulk collection of data is not a
>> nuanced issue, in my view — it centers squarely on whether governments
>> should be in the habit of engaging in such activities, especially without
>> transparency and accountability.
>>
>> My priorities are, in this order, (1) get governments out of the
>> unaccountable bulk-collection business, if we can, and (2) have a thorough
>> discussion of what we will allow commercial entities to do with regard to
>> collection of private data. Without saying everyone should share my ordered
>> priorities, I hope it’s clear why I think (1) is the more immediate and
>> urgent problem.
>>
>> Also, I think achievability of public policy relies on disentangling the
>> issues rather than on assuming they’re hopelessly entangled. As I noted
>> earlier, I think we could reduce commercial data-gathering a thousandfold
>> and still not address the fundamental problem of what governments want to
>> do.
>>

>> —Mike
>>

>> --
>> *Mike Godwin* | Senior Legal Advisor, Global Internet Policy Project
>> mgodwin at internews.org | *Mobile* 415-793-4446
>> *Skype* mnemonic1026
>> *Address* 1601 R Street NW, 2nd Floor Washington, DC 20009 USA
>>
>> *INTERNEWS* | *Local Voices. Global Change.*
>> www.internews.org | @internews <http://www.twitter.com/internews> |
>> facebook.com/internews <http://www.facebook.com/internews>
>>
>> From: "genekimmelman at gmail.com" <genekimmelman at gmail.com>
>> Date: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM
>> To: "mishi at softwarefreedom.org" <mishi at softwarefreedom.org>, Mike Godwin
>> <mgodwin at internews.org>, "bestbits at lists.bestbits.net" <
>> bestbits at lists.bestbits.net>
>> Subject: Re: [bestbits] Reform surveillance
>>
>> If the supply side insists on personal information for targeted
>> advertising,  isn't that entangled with the data governments seek?

Dr. Matthias C. Kettemann, LL.M. (Harvard)
Post-Doc Fellow | Cluster of Excellence
„<http://www.normativeorders.net/de/organisation/mitarbeiter-a-z/person/442>Normative
Orders<http://www.normativeorders.net/de/organisation/mitarbeiter-a-z/person/442>
”<http://www.normativeorders.net/de/organisation/mitarbeiter-a-z/person/442>,
University of Frankfurt/Main
Lecturer | Institute of International Law and International Relations,
University of Graz <http://voelkerrecht.uni-graz.at/en/>
Research Affiliate | European Training and Research Centre for Human Rights
and Democracy, University of
Graz<http://trainingszentrum-menschenrechte.uni-graz.at/en/infos-fuer-studierende/>

Exzellenzcluster "Normative Ordnungen", Goethe-Universität Frankfurt/Main
EXC-8, Grüneburgplatz 1
60323 Frankfurt/Main, Deutschland

E | matthias.kettemann at gmail.com
T | 0049 176 817 50 920 (mobile, Germany)
T | 0043 676 7017175 (mobile, Austria)
T | 0049 69 798 31508 (office)
Blog <http://internationallawandtheinternet.blogspot.com/> |
SSRN<http://ssrn.com/author=1957909>
new book<http://www.elevenpub.com/law/catalogus/the-future-of-individuals-in-international-law>
Twitter <http://twitter.com/#%21/MCKettemann> |
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/matthias.kettemann>
 | Google+ <https://plus.google.com/u/0/116310540881122884114/posts>

Recent publications:
Netzpolitik in Österreich [Net Politics in Austria] (2013,
ed.)<http://publikationen.collaboratory.at/mri/>
Grenzen im Völkerrecht [Limits of International Law] (2013,
ed.)<http://www.jan-sramek-verlag.at/Buchdetails.455.0.html?buchID=139&cHash=e856a8a762>
The Future of Individuals in International Law
(2013)<http://www.elevenpub.com/law/catalogus/the-future-of-individuals-in-international-law>
European Yearbook on Human Rights 2013 (2013,
co-edited)<http://www.nwv.at/recht/verfassungsrecht/1019_european_yearbook_on_human_rights_2013/>