[bestbits] Programme for Best Bits annual meeting

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Thu Aug 22 06:02:48 EDT 2013

HI all

+1 from me.

There are a lot of workshops in the main IGF where participation and
support from Best Bits folk would be productive not only for this
specific Civil Society initiative (which is taking a step back from the
compulsory 'multistakeholder' model of the main IGF program) but also
for the workshops.

A two-way process hopefully!

Re. hosting of chat rooms to avoid Skype and also to work on
alternatives in principle, and other online spaces. I think there needs
to be some thought about setting up with an individual. What happens if
that person withdraws good will, moves on or has to close these services?

Just a thought. Passwords can disappear, domain ownership can become
murky and so on. And all this is alongside whether we need to be
waterproof in a world that is now totally porous!

best
MF

--
Dr Marianne Franklin
Reader
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition (UN IGF)
Goldsmiths, University of London
Dept. of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 20 7919 7072