[bestbits] Programme for Best Bits annual meeting

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Aug 22 18:37:40 EDT 2013

On 22/08/2013, at 10:02 PM, Marianne Franklin <m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk> wrote:

> Re. hosting of chat rooms to avoid Skype and also to work on alternatives in principle, and other online spaces. I think there needs to be some thought about setting up with an individual. What happens if that person withdraws good will, moves on or has to close these services?
>
> Just a thought. Passwords can disappear, domain ownership can become murky and so on. And all this is alongside whether we need to be waterproof in a world that is now totally porous!

In case anyone is confused by this, it continues a discussion raised in the steering committee.  So I'll just copy and paste below from my email there, to provide the context for the above.  And in answer to Marianne's question, the offer of Robert Guerra's server was just for our testing purposes.  I can and will set up a permanent bestbits.net Mumble server if we decide that we like it.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.