Summary of ways to participate in Best Bits

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Oct 17 00:18:28 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 17 October 2012 09:23 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> snip

> Actually it was one year ago, at the last IGF, that some of us on this
> list first committed to produce such a set of civil society
> principles, and to do so by this year's IGF.

Jeremy, I agree such talk, and also real efforts, have been around for a
long time. And that we must strive to take it forward. My impression
about such principles, however, has always been that we are aiming at
substantive principles that may also include some procedural issues. I
have been a long-standing supporter of such efforts. In fact at the
IGFs, it was the presenation of Brazilian ""/Principles/ for the
Governance and use of the /Internet/" that triggered a kind of rough
consensus for working towards such principles, which rough consensus, if
I remember right, was captured in Nitin Desai's and perhaps also IGF
chair's closing remarks at IGF-5. So, let us be clear about it. We are
talking about substantive principles related to Internet and Internet
governance and not just a list of procedural issues.

In this regard I will like to have the Internet Rights and Principles
document of the IRP dynamic coalition, plus the Brazilian Internet
principles document, as the starting texts. We need to move beyond
paying lip service to inclusiveness and voices from the South. the IRP
document have had relatively better (though still very less) inclusion
of voices from developing countires, and Brazilian doc is of course a
(really) multistakeholder effort from a developing country.

I would also like to help in anchoring the Internet principles line of
activity, if it is going to take place.

parminder