[bestbits] [governance] ISOC/USG WCIT Post Mortem

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Dec 25 23:11:19 EST 2012

On 26/12/2012, at 12:09 AM, Gene Kimmelman <genekimmelman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Many have suggested carrying this discussion forward at the upcoming WSIS+10 convening; the ITU's policy forum; the next IGF; the ITU plenipotentiary....maybe there are other ideas?  I'm hoping that we can continue to unite those who want to work within the ITU structure with those who prefer to seek other venues for action, on a common substantive agenda. Regardless, I hope we can continue the collaboration that has been going on for many years and may have been enhanced at BestBits, Rio/Latin American and other joint endeavors that have generated excellent process and policy suggestions.

Yep, it will be important to continue to seek to work with the ITU on telecommunications issues, and Consumers International for our part is seeking to engage with the ITU-D on consumer protection issues around non-content aspects of broadband, pursuant to its Resolution 64 of the 2010 ITU-D meeting at Hyderabad (we have a background paper on this, but currently only in French).  Definitely, there are telecoms issues on which public interest representation at the ITU is important.  Same as in other standards bodies, like the ISO, where we also work.

But there are only so many resources that Best Bits members will want to continue to pour into telecommunications work, or into a negative agenda at the ITU just devoted to delineating the line between Internet and telecoms.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Your rights, our mission – download CI's Strategy 2015: http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.