[bestbits] Fwd: [governance] ISOC/USG WCIT Post Mortem

Gene Kimmelman genekimmelman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 11:09:27 EST 2012

I think Parminder is reminding us of many of the key issues we must
address going forward.  I'm not sure how useful it is to debate what
civil society could otherwise have accomplished at WCIT (but others
may wish to continue this debate); my sense is that none of us knew if
and when ITU would open up more for civil society involvement (we did
succeed somewhat, but only at the last minute and it mostly required
enormous effort to pressure national delegations to open up, find
resources for travel, etc); none of us knew how various nations would
react to civil society  endeavors to become more engaged; none of us
knew how the nation to nation (or regional) negotiations would
unfold.  However, we did anticipate that a positive agenda related to
key civil society needs/demands would not be on the agenda at WCIT and
-- if I remember correctly -- the consensus at the Baku BestBits
meeting was that  we needed to find a way to promote our agenda.
Again, others may believe we could have done more in Dubai with this
positive agenda, but my sense is that we got the attention of many
delegations with our joint and individual statements, there was
substantial discussion of the need to address broadband affordability,
development issues, security issues (both privacy and cybersecurity),
and a tremendous amount of allegiance to some enhanced forms of
multistakeholderism (again, never defined with precision).

My impression is that  participants at the Baku meeting have, with
their statement, launched a discussion of key elements of what
Parminder is referring to; and the joint Latin American statement
launched in late November in Rio and released with broader signatories
after WCIT furthers this positive civil society agenda.  We woke up
many stakeholders to our demands going forward, and I know that at
least in the U.S., civil society groups are continuing to pressure
their government and corporate sector to begin addressing these
issues.  To me the question is:  how do we decide what our most
desired multilateral/global targets are for substantive engagement?
Obviously civil society groups will have their own national agendas,
but maybe an addition question would be:  how do we help each other
further our immediate local policy engagements while supporting a
broader global initiative?

Many have suggested carrying this discussion forward at the upcoming
WSIS+10 convening; the ITU's policy forum; the next IGF; the ITU
plenipotentiary....maybe there are other ideas?  I'm hoping that we
can continue to unite those who want to work within the ITU structure
with those who prefer to seek other venues for action, on a common
substantive agenda. Regardless, I hope we can continue the
collaboration that has been going on for many years and may have been
enhanced at BestBits, Rio/Latin American and other joint endeavors
that have generated excellent process and policy suggestions.