[bestbits] [governance] ISOC/USG WCIT Post Mortem

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Dec 26 02:18:33 EST 2012

On Wednesday 26 December 2012 09:41 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> <snip>
>
> But there are only so many resources that Best Bits members will want
> to continue to pour into telecommunications work, or into a negative
> agenda at the ITU just devoted to delineating the line between
> Internet and telecoms.

Unfortunately, behind delineating or blurring that line lies a sordid
tale --- of huge implication to the governance of our communication realm

see for instance
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-kushnick/internet-freedom-att_b_1869358.html>
'Internet Freedom'? AT&T's Verbal Jujitsu to Close Down
Telecommunications in America'
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-kushnick/internet-freedom-att_b_1869358.html>.
and

Shutting Down The Phone System Gets Real: The Implications of AT&T
Upgrading To An All IP Network
<http://www.publicknowledge.org/blog/shutting-down-phone-system-gets-real-implicat>

  WCIT outcomes, whatever they may actually  be or not, will now be
touted as having decisively sealed the issue that  Internet is not to be
governed/ regulated by traditional telecom regulators in any way
whatsoever (not even at the physical/ infrastructure level).... Such
global norms are even more important in developing countries, which are
still to see the net neutrality struggle begin... It may have been
snuffed out even before in could begin. If telecom regulators dont
enforce net neutrality, I dont see how it can be enforced at all.

Wishing a great 2013 to all!

parminder