[Governance] Seeking roll back of IGF Leadership Panel

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Nov 27 05:36:04 EST 2021

Dear Milton,

thank you for your kind response and thanks for the suggestions you make
in improving the IGF, which I'll let others comment on, if need be.
To the question "the current status quo is no fit for purpose", the
current IGF mandate was pretty much a result of policies stemming from a
state of the Internet in 2005. We are in 2021, 16 years later. The world
is a different place and the Internet is a very different animal than
what it was back in 2005. Let's stop kidding ourselves that we live in
2005 and open our eyes to 2021 and its geopolitical, societal and
technical challenges. We still live in a world where there is a huge gap
between the Internet haves and the have nots, and that gap is widening,
and might be set to widen further as new technologies like 5G and the
ubiquitous IoT get rolled out in richer parts of the world. We have a
climate emergency on our hands and a significant part of it is caused by
the very network that we love and use daily. We have a handful of
companies with a budget larger than a small country that have no checks
and balances in place regarding the privacy of data and whose business
model is based on tracking you and me and everyone else. We have a world
where if you are not online, you are nothing, which means that some
complete cultures are bound to disappear altogether if they do not have
an online presence. I know it's a mixed bag of slushy stuff that
strictly speaking you could say has nothing to do with the Internet, but
these issues are real and the Internet's impact is core to many of these
issues.

In my opinion, the current status quo of having a discussion forum and
nothing else around it to action the discussions is no longer fit for
purpose - it's a lot of money spent to write more books and papers, but
if there is no clear path on how to action the discussions, it is money
wasted for the happy few that benefit from publishing these papers, at
the expense of the wider world. I am not saying whether an IGF
Leadership Panel is a good or a bad thing, but if you don't like the
proposal, then propose something else because one thing is sure: if the
IGF continues being a talk shop with no actual results or even
suggestions coming out of it that can be picked up using a well thought
out process, in a multistakeholder manner, for further study or action,
some major players in the multistakeholder model will walk away and turn
to other fora, perhaps multilateral fora, letting the multistakeholder
model of governance be a pipe dream of civil society that will remain by
itself in the IGF.

As for the "purpose", I interpret it as the "Internet Governance Forum",
where civil society, governments, the private sector, the technical
community and any other actors come together to discuss Internet
Governance issues, leading to a well thought out future of the Internet
that includes input from all players and not only a single actor. If you
want the Internet of the future to reflect consensus between all
parties, that is the way to do it. If you'd rather engage in poltical
wars and arguments between stakeholder groups, then let the talking
continue and leave the development to government and the private sector:
together I am sure they have a great plan for all of us.

Kindest regards,

Olivier