[Governance] Joint Statement from NTEN and EFF on Rejection of Sale of .ORG

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Sat May 2 16:14:31 EDT 2020

The notion that .ORG has been run in the interests of public benefit
organizations, other than ISOC, PIR, and ICANN (i.e., the direct
beneficiaries of registrar income) is and pretty much always has been
a fiction.

Why do we keep repeating this fiction while knowing that anyone can
register any domain available under .ORG without the slightest
vetting.

About all one can say is that there exist some small number of actual
public benefit organizations probably amounting to fewer than 1% of
registrations, probably far fewer, who have chosen .ORG for their
branding.

My point is not to argue for or against the ICANN decision or who
should control .ORG, only that I feel like the boy in the tale of the
emperor's new clothes pointing out the king's nakedness.

Why continue to debate the point based on an entirely (or 99+%) false
premise?

--
        -Barry Shein