[Governance] ICANN Board Withholds Consent for a Change of Control of the Public Interest Registry (PIR)

Ayden FĂ©rdeline ayden at ferdeline.com
Fri May 1 01:44:22 EDT 2020

Breaking news -- ICANN has vetoed the sale of the Public Interest Registry (home to .ORG) following "thorough due diligence." Their full decision can be found here:

https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann-board-withholds-consent-for-a-change-of-control-of-the-public-interest-registry-pir

This is a huge victory for civil society. While I remain so disappointed that the Internet Society would waste millions in public interest money pursuing this sale, which had little support and ran contrary to their own mission, I am thankful to all those who stepped forward to save .ORG like AccessNow, EFF, NTEN, and the Domain Name Rights Coalition. This is your win. Thank you very much for helping reclaim a little piece of the Domain Name System for non-commercial interests.

Best wishes,
Ayden FĂ©rdeline