[governance] WEBCAST TUE-THU: Ethiopia Internet Development Conference 2020

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Wed Mar 4 03:15:52 EST 2020

Thanks for sharing this Joly, and to ISOC for webcasting. I am in Addis
at the event and really happy to share that on day two there is active
participation from Ethiopian participants. Good inputs from government
and two really useful inputs so far on lessons from Kenya, and on the
history of internet development in Ethiopia.

The latter presentation by Lishan Adam makes a point I often try to make
which is that internet development in Africa took several steps
backwards in the early 2000s when using the internet started requiring
permanent connections (as opposed to the store and forward systems we
used previously). Technology developed (the web, basically) in countries
with good fixed line infrastructure  just did not work for people in
countries without fixed line infrastructure. For at least a decade,
often longer, Africans missed out on the potential of internet
connectivity... until mobile data became a viable option. Although this
is still an unaffordable option for many people.

This was compounded by how telecoms privatisation and liberalisation
took place.. in a way that made few people/companies/governments rich
with the benefits of competition taking a very long time to reach
ordinary people (with variations in countries of course).

For a country like Ethiopia which is embarking on a new era of internet
policy development, and opening markets to new players, these are
important considerations. Competition does work, but not always, and not
under all circumstances in the expected way.

What is really encouraging is that community networks feature
prominently in the Ethiopian government's plans for opening the
telco/internet environment.

Anriette

Anriette Esterhuysen, Chair, IGF MAG
www.intgovforum.org//
Senior advisor on internet governance
Association for Progressive Communications
apc.org//afrisig.org//anriette at apc.org
@anriette - twitter//ae_apc - skype