[governance] Nomination

Sheetal Kumar sheetal at gp-digital.org
Thu Sep 5 18:39:07 EDT 2019

Dear all,

Thank you again to Deirdre for the nomination, and to the returning
officers for all their efforts so far. I include below my statement.

*My name is Sheetal Kumar, and I’m based in London, UK where I’m a
Programme Lead at Global Partners Digital (GPD). I believe the role of IGC
coordinator requires enthusiasm, understanding of internet policy issues,
organisational and facilitation skills. At GPD, I have experience in
facilitating civil society engagement in internet policy and governance
spaces, including at the global level where I’ve been working on ensuring
greater openness, inclusivity and transparency for civil society engagement
in multistakeholder and multilateral processes. For example, I’ve supported
coordination of civil society in the WSIS+10 Review Process, and other
global processes including the ICDPPC, the G20, the UNHRC and more recently
the HLP and the UN First Committee. Currently, I lead a cybersecurity
capacity building programme which supports civil society organisations to
promote and protect human rights in relevant discussions at the national
and global levels. *

*In addition, I represented Bestbits at the CSCG where I helped to
coordinate the involvement of the previous Bestbits network in the CSCG.
I’ve also been an active participant in the civil society pre-IGF
coordination mee*tings, *as well as a participant of the IGF and its
intersessional activities, most recently the BPF on cybersecurity.*

*I’ve been helping to lead the discussions regarding the closure of
Bestbits and been involved in the related discussions regarding the IGC’s
revival. As the internet and digital technologies become increasingly
relevant, we need a coordinated and strong civil society presence which
meaningfully involves a diverse and wide range of voices more than ever. I
believe my experience in the field of internet policy, relationships with a
wide range of stakeholders in the community, and my facilitation of the
closing of Bestbits process, as well as my strong organisational skills
will support me to carry out a role as IGC coordinator. *