[governance] Taiwanese nationals and the IGF

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Tue Sep 10 14:26:44 EDT 2019

Hi Farzaneh,

I'm not disagreeing with you insofar as current situation is in practice.

But I'm trying to look at it at another angle. Human-made rules are
not carved in stone, not even UN ones, and there's no explicit,
all-encompassing rule in the UN saying a passport is needed at all UN
events, even if it is currently common practice. Or if there is (I'd
love a pointer) exceptions have been made before.

And, Lessig to the contrary notwithstanding, web forms are not law and
they can be worked around if there's a good case for it and enough
political will. For UN rules if any are political, not technical.

Now I don't expect that'll happen in this case, certainly not this
year. But making an effort, even if a small one, might nudge things a
little in the right direction. And when everything is said and done, I
tend to think it'd be just a smidgen easier to make UN relax its rules
than your (admittedly preferable) solution of abolishing nation
states. :-)

Cheers,

Tapani

On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 09:17:17AM -0400, farzaneh badii (governance at lists.riseup.net) wrote:

> Tapani
>
> Any person who holds a passport from a non-UN member state and do not have
> another passport (Chinese or American or European) cannot register and
> participate at the UN. Been a known problem. Yes you need to specify the
> country which has issued your passport. Taiwan is not among the countries
> listed to choose from because of the UN policy. If you can't register you
> can't go. And it's not only about Taiwan. And UN rules unfortunately
> overcome IGF rules. It's a UN conference, UN protocol.
>
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 8:49 AM Tapani Tarvainen <tapani.tarvainen at effi.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Actually you do not need to identify your nationality, you only
> > need to specify the origin of your passport.
> >
> > And that could be challenged on the grounds that guidelines do not
> > insist on people having a passport. After all technical limitations on
> > the website can't override actual policy. I think they just might give
> > in on that if someone wanted to attend with a credible reason for not
> > having a passport but had another type of picture ID.
> >
> > They guidelines also state that the IGF welcomes "the participation of
> > all stakeholders..." and "participant status shall be provided to any
> > individual who fulfills the requirements" without any qualification as
> > to nationality that I can see.
> >
> > And Taiwanese can enter Germany with their own passport, without
> > even needing a visa.
> >
> > So if a Taiwanese had a picture ID issued by a state recognised by UN
> > they should be able to attend. I presume "recognized" there includes
> > observer countries like Palestine and Vatican (which, incidentally,
> > maintains diplomatic relations with Taiwan).
> >
> > Hmm.
> >
> > Tapani
> >
> > On Sep 09 08:11, farzaneh badii (farzaneh.badii at gmail.com) wrote:
> >
> > > You have to identify your nationality on the form to register. Last time
> > > checked Taiwan wasn't listed. Also not all passports arecprvileged enough
> > > to just pop into another country with without a visa. So I wonder if
> > they'd
> > > even get a visa letter.. Maybe if they are physically in the host city
> > > But if not ...
> > >
> > > On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 7:58 AM Tapani Tarvainen <
> > tapani.tarvainen at effi.org>

> > solution is
> > and

> > in