[governance] Taiwanese nationals and the IGF

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Mon Sep 9 08:48:27 EDT 2019

Actually you do not need to identify your nationality, you only
need to specify the origin of your passport.

And that could be challenged on the grounds that guidelines do not
insist on people having a passport. After all technical limitations on
the website can't override actual policy. I think they just might give
in on that if someone wanted to attend with a credible reason for not
having a passport but had another type of picture ID.

They guidelines also state that the IGF welcomes "the participation of
all stakeholders..." and "participant status shall be provided to any
individual who fulfills the requirements" without any qualification as
to nationality that I can see.

And Taiwanese can enter Germany with their own passport, without
even needing a visa.

So if a Taiwanese had a picture ID issued by a state recognised by UN
they should be able to attend. I presume "recognized" there includes
observer countries like Palestine and Vatican (which, incidentally,
maintains diplomatic relations with Taiwan).

Hmm.

Tapani