[governance] [Internet Policy] That i* organizations' statement re. "social responsibility" of technical design?

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Sun Nov 10 22:46:57 EST 2019

This kinda stuff looks like a lot of handwaving to me. The technical standards for the Internet do describe protocols for endpoint to endpoint communication, but that does not require endpoints to use their connections for any laudatory purpose. The standards also don’t constrain the organization of the Internet in terms of services, data centers, and financial models. By itself, standards are just words on a screen while the Internet is iron, fiber, silicon, and money.

Human rights are also nothing without a legal regime that enforces them. The UDHR includes a section on artists’ rights that directly collides with certain expectations of Internet use; I don’t see any mention fo copyright enforcement in this paper. So we all have rights, but some rights are more worthy than others?

I think it’s fundamentally misguided to try and design rights into a technical system. In practice, any network system can be used just as easily to protect rights as to violate them. Human rights and network design are different layers of the modern cultural system, it’s best if each one stays in its lane.

RB

—
Richard Bennett
High Tech Forum <https://hightechforum.org/> Founder