[governance] That i* organizations' statement re. "social responsibility" of technical design?

Sat Nov 9 08:18:05 EST 2019

Dear All,

I seem to remember that in the aftermath of the NSA surveillance scandal
(pre-NETmundial), the i* organizations got together and put out a statement
that seemed to recognize for the first time that technology is not purely
"agnostic" with regard to social values (e.g., rights that we think should
be valued in the kind of society we want to live in) and that those values
need to be kept in mind in the work of technical standards development and
technology design.

Is my memory being faulty here, or was there such a thing? Could anyone
point me to that declaration? And if this ever was, what has become of it?
As I was searching I came across the Montevideo statement but it doesn't
appear to specifically address the issue above.

Thanks in advance!

Mawaki

Mawaki Chango, PhD
Founder & CEO,
DigiLexis Consulting
Skype: digilexis | Slack: @digilexis
Twitter: @digilexis & @ki_chango
Mob. +228 92 14 22 22 | +233 264 070 555