[governance] PIR Case/or the .org sell

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Nov 27 05:57:47 EST 2019

> On Nov 27, 2019, at 11:32 AM, Ayden Férdeline <ayden at ferdeline.com> wrote:
> Yes, I have heard the counter argument, which is that this sale will provide ISOC with additional

Has someone argued that?  If so, can you quote that argument, or articulate it?

> and more-stable funding.

If by “more stable” you mean “without strings attached” or “not contingent upon compliant behavior,” then yes.  “More stable” would certainly not be my first choice of phrase to articulate the argument, though.

> Is there another one?

That it will deconflict ISOC, and allow it to apply itself to issues of interest to the Internet community.  That is, of course, a potential, not a guaranteed outcome.  But it’s certainly better than the status-quo.

> I'm afraid I don't find it persuasive.

Because you don’t think the outcome is desirable, or because you don’t think that it will come to pass?

> ISOC is proposing to sell out the non-commercial community

Can you articulate the specific harm that you believe will come to pass?

> for its own private greed. A wealthy ISOC is in the interests of ISOC

You’re anthropomorphizing.  Which does not constitute an argument.  As well, ISOC is, nominally, a public-benefit corporation.  In theory it has no “private” interest.  The problem, historically, has been in the definition of “public.”

Also, you seem to be implying that this would make ISOC “wealthy” or give them “additional funds.”  While that’s possible, I haven’t seen anyone argue that, or substantiate that. The question has not be _amount_ of funds, but of _restriction_ of funds. The goal here is not to give ISOC _more_ money, but to give it money which is not _preconditioned_.

> ...and not the Internet community as a whole.

You appear, however, to be comparing to a theoretical perfect case, rather than to the status quo.  I’d prefer to see improvement relative to the status quo, even if it does not reach a state of theoretical perfection.

                                -Bill