[governance] Good examples of muiltistakeholder policy development at a national level?

david_allen_ab63 at post.harvard.edu david_allen_ab63 at post.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 4 15:29:31 EST 2019

As Ian said, in effect, there is a lot to this one ...

With appreciation, for the history recounted below.

Adding to that history.

WSIS quickly became, though supposed to be about the global digital divide, thoroughly consumed with a struggle over who would control the Internet. (Or, 'not control,' at least in the ideology of one side.)

Multi-stakeholder was the flag raised to protect the non-governmental innovation by the US from some years before, ICANN. In those earlier Bill Clinton years, this was an artful creation to provide some necessary coordination, beyond the individual nation state.

By the time of WSIS, other world powers, both major and emerging, were clear that they too had a stake in the Internet, beyond just the US. At the beginning, in WSIS, the US stood nearly alone arrayed against the rest of the world, joined only by more or less the Five Eyes. In time a coalition would form with much of the Western states.

The other view? Alongside major powers, BRICS would emerge. Voice to the other view would regularly come from the Indian delegate of the time.

Nothing would be resolved, really, in this struggle. After WSIS, an ugly meeting would see blunt attacks on the ITU and countermoves in response. Further UN meetings would fail to reach any resolution. This was all 15, going on 20, years ago now.

The irony in this was the US – whose great gift to the world has been introduction of modern democracy – leading the charge to instate an anti-democratic solution.

And, could there – in a global world with a trenchantly cross-border service, the Internet – be global coordination with government decision making? The GAC could have become that. Indeed.

Such a 'democratic' approach would be, without any real question, imperfect. But perhaps not as imperfect as the ICANN we got. Where staff regularly ignored results from supposed 'bottoms up' processes, to implement policies preferred instead by management. And some of those management decamped, to business entities where they could personally profit substantially from earlier policy decisions.

As noted previously, citizen – civil society – vigorous participation is central to functioning democracy. And, as among others, Ian, has noted, the business sector tends to have outsize influence instead. The demand that civil society be accorded its rightful seat at the table is fundamental, clearly.

But, there is an approach, as above, where the full mechanism can also include the essential democratic piece, governments 'in their respective role.'

Yes, we (still) have a lot of work to do.

David