[governance] RightsCon satellite event- What do social movements need to do in the age of data? Towards a digital justice manifesto

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue May 21 08:07:50 EDT 2019

Are you planning to be at RightsCon
<https://itforchange.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6fd97454ef6c0671ea92b5cb4&id=b3dd86791a&e=2c98cb64db> this
year? Join us at Tunis, and be part of shaping a future agenda for
digital equity and social justice.

JNC invites you to our workshop
*What do social movements need to do in the age of data? Towards a
digital justice manifesto*

Venue: Hôtel LAICO Tunis (RightsCon Venue), CARTHAGE 2
Date: June 11, 2:00-4:15 pm

In 2018, the Just Net Coalition
<https://itforchange.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6fd97454ef6c0671ea92b5cb4&id=f03c48444e&e=2c98cb64db>
(JNC) convened its first satellite event at RightsCon, Toronto,
‘Contending with the digital frontier – What next for social movements?’
The event aimed at brokering a dialogue between actors from social
movements and members of the digital rights community and explore common
pathways for data and digital justice. Over the year, we have kept the
conversation going at different venues and platforms.

In March 2019, JNC organized a three day international workshop on
Equity and Social Justice in a Digital World in Bangkok which brought
together a global network of actors working on digital rights, the
digital economy, and in sectors like agriculture, trade, education,
gender rights and labor.

At Tunis, we plan to take forward one of the critical agendas that came
out of the Bangkok meeting - the need for a digital justice manifesto.
Drawing from the building blocks that came out of our Bangkok meeting,
our RightsCon satellite event, *What do social movements need to do in
the age of data? Towards a digital justice manifesto*, will be aimed at
further developing key categories and the framework of a Digital Justice
Manifesto creating a reframed mandate for social movements from the
standpoint of various rights in the digital age, and enrich it through
the learnings from a structured inter-movement dialogue.

We invite you to be part of this exciting and enriching process. Whether
you're from a traditional social movement, a digital rights activist, or
simply interested in these issues, we would love to hear from you.

Registrations for the event are open now. Sign up
<https://itforchange.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6fd97454ef6c0671ea92b5cb4&id=8240e8e90e&e=2c98cb64db>
and spread the word.

*Yes, I am interested in attending!*

Sign me up