[governance] Report on Civil Society Coordination for Christchurch Call

Wed May 15 19:27:34 EDT 2019

*Summary:*

Civil society participation in Christchurch call timelines and next steps:

   1.

   Beginning of May, Calls issued through civil society networks and
   mailing lists, InternetNZ created a coordination space, which will be
   ongoing:https://christchurchcallcoord.internetnz.nz/
   2.

   Call for collective action issued, and call to provide a collective
   input for the civil society meeting with New Zealand before Christchurch
   Summit. The effort was open to any civil society and technical community
   member that wished to participate. Some civil society organizations
   attended the three online meetings organized to discuss the input and the
   Christchurch call.
   3.

   Ongoing work on the input document, first draft was shaped
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ByMQScgaab4KBhr5fB_6uJ8txN9Fv77lXEbDdJTJzNE/edit>
   4.

   on 13 May, a meeting was held before the Voices for Action meeting. The
   input document was finalized, comments resolved.

See the finalized document here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/10RadyVQUNu1H5D7x6IJVKbqmaeDeXre0Mk-FFNkIVxs/edit#heading=h.wg59r4y9z999>
.

   1. *Next Steps:* The New Zealand government has asked for more feedback
   from various stakeholders. Note that the pledge might not be changed but we
   need to weigh in and send them our feedback.

We are going to hold another online meeting soon (next week) and discuss
the next steps and brief you about the Christchurch call and the recent
developments.

If you want to sign up on the current civil society
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/10RadyVQUNu1H5D7x6IJVKbqmaeDeXre0Mk-FFNkIVxs/edit#heading=h.wg59r4y9z999>
input
you can contact Ellen, Jillian or me.

*The process and how it all started*

24 April 2019, Prime Minister Ardern announced the Christchurch call which
was started in cooperation with France to eliminate terrorist, violent,
extremist content online.She also announced the meeting of New Zealand and
civil society and academic
<https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/nz-and-france-seek-end-use-social-media-acts-terrorism>organizations
the day before the Christchurch call in Paris.

InternetNZ was determined to include civil society and technical
organizations in the Christchurch call process. With their collaboration,
on May 6th we started to gather input from civil society and some parts of
the technical community.

InternetNZ’s principled approach to this issue was the main reason for the
inclusion of Internet community actors other than big technology
corporation.

The call for collective action was distributed on Internet governance
networks including

IGC mailing list,

BestBits mailing list,

NCSG mailing list

Giganet

and other civil society networks. We approached various civil society
organizations and academics to join the collaborative call for input and
asked them to inform their networks about it.

InternetNZ also created a coordination space. The call to join the space
was distributed among the available networks.

There are 81 members who have joined the coordination space.

The members discussed many aspects of the Christchurch call, including why
it’s happening, what are the evidence and what are the implications for the
Internet.

To join the network, read the following:
https://internetnz.nz/Christchurch-Call and join at:
https://christchurchcallcoord.internetnz.nz/

*Online and in person civil society meetings*

We held two online meetings and one in-person meeting which also provided
remote participation.

We discussed various aspect of the call including substantive and
procedural aspects.

On 8th May, 19 participants joined the call. Find the recording here:
https://bluejeans.com/s/49F7K

On 10th May, 30 participants joined the call. Here is the link to the
recording. https://bluejeans.com/s/N9Mps

An in person meeting was also held with the New Zealand Civil Society and
the New Zealand government.
*The input document:*

The first draft of the input document was populated by various civil
society organizations and academics. More than 200 comments and edits were
received. [See the first draft here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ByMQScgaab4KBhr5fB_6uJ8txN9Fv77lXEbDdJTJzNE/edit>,
note this is not the final draft, please read on]

Jillian York has kindly listed most of the organizations and academics who
have put the organizations that have contributed to the draft. It is
non-exhaustive so if you made comments or were involved in initial drafting
please let us know. [the list is at the bottom of this email]

On 13 May, we had an in-person meeting with those who were present in
Paris. The meeting was distributed in various civil society networks and
the coordination space provided by InternetNZ. The in-person attendees were
namely Jillian York, Ellen Strickland, Anri van der Spuy and myself. Jordan
Carter from Internet NZ joined us the second half of the meeting. More
participants attended online.

We continued resolving comments and re-structuring the document. As a
result, we provided another document which was the clean version of the
input
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/10RadyVQUNu1H5D7x6IJVKbqmaeDeXre0Mk-FFNkIVxs/edit#>
and
kept the first draft for the record.

We went through the document with the online and in-person attendees,
included their comments made during and after the meeting. We finalized the
document the next day (14 May).

On 14 May, Voices for Action meeting: The meeting was held with the New
Zealand government, the Prime Minister of New Zealand and some academic and
civil society organizations.

Tweets during the meeting can be found at #Christchurchcallvoices

InternetNZ and other civil society organizations gave a summary of the
collective input during the meeting with the New Zealand government. We
also handed out printed versions. Find a PDF version here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RfXLUnx662mmOJv3Z2c0NXEpsAXS8HGN/view

*Next Steps:*

Considering that the Christchurch Call pledge text is out now and the New
Zealand government has asked for more comments from the civil society and
other parts of the Internet community, Interested civil society
organizations can sign up for the current civil society input. We can have
categories of drafting and commentator team, and endorsing organizations.

If you are interested to sign up please contact me, Ellen or Jillian, so
that we can add your name to it.

We will also have a meeting next week to brief you about how the issues are
evolving and answer questions about the input document.
------------------------------

The following is a non-exhaustive list of contributors to this document.
Additional input was provided by anonymous contributors and during calls
leading up to the meetings.

   - Farzaneh Badii (Internet Governance Project, Georgia Tech)
   - Annemarie Bridy (University of Idaho)
   - Ben Decker (Disinformation Index)
   - Anriette Esterhuysen (Global Commission on Internet Governance)
   - Claire Fernandez (European Digital Rights Initiative)
   - Gabrielle Guillemin (Article 19)
   - Dia Kayyali (Witness)
   - Daphne Keller (Center for Internet and Society, Stanford University)
   - Gayatri Khandhadai (Association for Progressive Communications)
   - Cheryl Leanza (A Learned Hand)
   - Rebecca MacKinnon (Ranking Digital Rights)
   - Mira Milosevic (Global Forum for Media Development)
   - Milton Mueller (Internet Governance Project, Georgia Tech)
   - Michael Oghia (Global Forum for Media Development)
   - Julie Owono (Internet Sans Frontieres)
   - Jason Pielemeier (Global Network Initiative)
   - Courtney Radsch (Committee to Protect Journalists)
   - Ellen Strickland (InternetNZ)
   - Anri van der Spuy (Research ICT Africa)
   - Deirdre Williams
   - Jillian C. York (Electronic Frontier Foundation)

Farzaneh