[governance] Issues about ISOC and the public interest registries.

Dave Burstein daveb at dslprime.com
Mon Dec 2 18:48:16 EST 2019

Joly is right about the financial issues here - which are not the only
consideration - but

Thus the BoT, itself a multistakeholder body representing Organizational
members, Chapters, and the Technical Community, unanimously voted in favor.

Does not correspond to any definition I know of multistakeholder, all of
which, including ISOC's include that the membership/stakeholders play a
direct role in making major decisions. A definition like that destroys the
meaning of multistakeholder. After all, the US Senate and President is
elected and nominally represents "the people." Does that mean every
decision by the US gov is "multistakeholder." Especially given we have "the
finest Congress money can buy."

*In addition, Chairman Camarillo has said the exact opposite, *specifically
that board members may be chosen but are *not* representatives. Rather the
board members make decisions independently in the overall interests of
ISOC. Which is how they have always behaved. I don't remember *any* board
member consulting widely on *any* major decision.

It is a convenient fantasy for people who want to keep top management in
charge at ISOC. We all lie to ourselves to justify our beliefs.

It reminds me of the claims from Saudi Arabia and Russia they made Internet
decisions in a multistakeholder way. The Saudis pointed to the
consultations they had. After all, most Chinese actually believe no one has
ever represented the people more effectively than the Chinese Communist
Party.  (Per the closest thing we have to accurate polls in China. Outside
of Hong Kong, it probably is true that "democracy" does not appeal to most
Chinese, right or wrong.

Editor, https://Fastnet.news <http://Fastnet.news> https://wirelessone.news
<http://wirelessone.news>