[governance] FW: [article] Did ISOC leave $1 billion on the table?

Brett Solomon brett at accessnow.org
Mon Dec 2 17:24:11 EST 2019

Agreed with Ayden here. The fact that some are arguing that the monetary
value doesn't reflect the real market value of the asset is a further
reflection of the apparent failure of ISOC to do its due diligence and its
unusually hurried and non consultative approach to this sale. It also goes
to the heart of this most unusual sale -- if money was their main aim,
why wouldn't they get the best price for it?

One other thing. I think it is important to note that whatever value is
ascribed to the asset be a fair price, after all, as was pointed out by my
colleague Peter Micek, the value of .org is co--created by those who reside
on .org ie us. We all helped create that value and to have it sold
improperly and at fire-sale prices is both disrespecting the value of .org
and its registrants.

Having said that, I agree it doesn't need to be a main argument or even
included :)

Brett

PS The actual article (
https://lancewiggs.com/2019/12/01/did-isoc-leave-1-billion-on-the-table/)
regardless is still worth reading.

Brett Solomon
Executive Director
Access Now | accessnow.org

@solomonbrett
Key ID: 0x4EDC17EB
Fingerprint: C02C A886 B0FC 3A25 FF9F ECE8 FCDF BA23 4EDC 17EB

**Subscribe* to the Access Now Express
<https://www.accessnow.org/campaign/#sign-up>, our weekly newsletter on
digital rights
**Protect digital rights* around the world - support Access Now
<https://act.accessnow.org/page/13742/donate/1> with a donation today