[governance] Proposed statement on .ORG sale

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Dec 23 10:32:34 EST 2019

On 23/12/19 7:00 PM, Carlos Afonso wrote:
> Eheheh... Parminder never quits... :-)

Thanks Carlos, I take it as a complement :) .. Discursive democracy is
an important, perhaps even a central, value and practice for civil society.

Pl see some responses below.

> Have you noticed that ISOC is not a registry, that its mission is orthogonal to this activity, and that they created a registry to catch an opportunity for the purpose of generating income for the organization (and I am not against this)? Have you noticed that the main mission of CGI.br is to supervise the Brazilian registry, and this is the original reason for its creation?

ISOC runs or supervises a registry (matters little whether directly or
through a shell formation the PIR) and it does a lot of other work about
and around the Internet. So does CGI.Br all these things... No two
entities are exactly the same -- but the parallels here are strong and
clear. But if you insist then you can just compare PIR, a non-profit
that runs a registry, with CGI-Br, and my argument still stands...

I can change the argument to: Why is it ok to dissolve PIR, as an non
profit running a registry that many take to be a global commons because
of its name and the associations it carries (which is a real and
verifiable fact), and make it a for profit, when you dont agree the same
could or should be done for CGI.br running .br, a national commons, as
its principal mission?

> Have you noticed that the Brazilian registry is a not-for-profit operation in which the Brazilian .org is completely restricted, contrary to .ORG which since Verisign times was like any other gTLD, and continued to be so under ISOC?

.Br is only restricted to Brazilian, why cant a Brazilian corporation
run it maintaining the same conditions? Different commons have different
logics, associations and practices. You cant say your conceptions of
your commons are ok, but that of others are not.....  NGOs globally are
aghast, including entirely non-internet-y one's like Girls Scouts, and
UN Rapporteurs are calling .org to be special, how can you reject all
such global sentiment of global commons nature of .org, and still stick
to .br being strictly a national commons, and not even agree to a
Brazilian business to run it, with a contracted condition that only a
Brazilian entity can be allocated .br... I am sure Milton wiil be glad
for such an arrangement, and I bring it up becuase it was Milton's
position that you supported.

> If you are able to navigate through the several CGIbr-linked sites, have you noticed that the excess income of the registry operation is not to "sustain CGI.br", but to invest in the development of several services and projects crucial to the development of the Internet in Brazil as a whole?

Carlos, I do not have to navigate its website.. I know first hand about
CGI.br's diverse activities, I mention them in my email below, and have
held workshops with different branches of CGI doing work entirely
unrelated to .br management.

> And yes, CGI.br regards .br as the identity of Brazil on the Internet, and as a common good for Brazilians,

would love to hear what Milton thinks of this formulation :)  (I dont
see how allocation of .br is non-excludable)

> and acts likewise. Completely different of .ORG, which is looked at by different organizations as a common good but objectively does not operate as such, I repeat, since the beginning of its commercial operation.

You yourselves agree that many organisations see .org as a common good,
and the current very widespread outrage proves it even more -- This fact
had a strong role in allocation of .org to ISOC, and till just a few
months back PIR has being carrying its special commons/ non profit
status on its sleeves (i can share quotes if you want).... Your
conclusion that 'but objectively (.org) does not operate as such' is
both a little stretched, and in any case no reason why we make 'org
operate even less as a global commons than it already does, by its
outright sale to a (fishy smelling) business.... My apologies, but that
appears to be a strange logic...

best regards, and happy Christmas celebrations!

parminder