[governance] [article] Did ISOC leave $1 billion on the table?

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Mon Dec 2 05:18:29 EST 2019

    	The sale has this odor of insider dealing to it but Bill is correct in what he said, they won’t be able to jack up the price too much without losing customers wholesale - and that too bulk buyers in the domain industry rather than individual nonprofits

    	--srs

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 3:42 PM +0530, "Ayden Férdeline" <ayden at ferdeline.com> wrote:

With respect Suresh, the picture is bigger than just a potential price increase.

There are absolutely no protections in place to protect the interests of .ORG, .NGO, and .ONG registrants, so we cannot protect against the many harms we can predict today and the harms we can't even imagine yet.

But some of those predictable harms include the potential for censorship / content take downs.

If all top level domains are run for profit, the Internet is being run for the interests and benefits of private companies. The DNS appears to me to be consolidating. Various top level domains are being acquired by entities connected to the one venture capitalist. At the moment, a PIR under ISOC's control offers up one piece of the DNS that is not purely under commercial control - and that is what we are about to lose.

What is the benefit of this sale to a .ORG registrant? Ethos Capital has committed to spending more dollars on marketing (i.e. opening up .ORG to further registrations and perhaps more commercial uses) and maintaining PIR's current spend of $30,000 a year on "Impact Awards"/small grants (which will not benefit many registrants at all).

As a consequence, 10 million registrants will be asked to pay more for their domain names every year, and the DNS will be subject to the risks mentioned above. It's not worth it, to me. And I think ISOC has an obligation to ensure not just the health of it's own bank account, but to ensure the Internet too remains open and free.

Ayden Férdeline