[governance] Overdue IGC Co-coordinator Elections and Request for Update on Website/ Was Re: Who are the IGC Co-coordinators?

Sat Aug 10 23:34:10 EDT 2019

Dear All,

   1. On June 26, 2016, I had raised the issue of the need for URGENT
   elections to replace one of the vacancy that had raised from 2 years ago.
   2. As I write this, there are now two coordinator vacancies and so the
   matter is almost URGENT.
   3. Two months have lapsed and we still do not have clear Election
   timelines even though there were some great suggestions.
   4. It is my view that there should be an urgent call for elections now
   to request the community to send in their Expression of Interest.
   5. Even if we wait for November to hold the elections, there has to be
   an open call for Expression of Interest and platform for elections set up.
   6. If we are to make the IGC fully functional and activated, then we
   have to suggest some really good candidates who have some institutional
   memory and are energetic and willing to work with another coordinator to
   lead the IGC.
   7. There was no migration of the website done following the call and
   subsequent appointment of Akinremi Peter but in 2019, a team of volunteers
   including Akinremi Peter have managed to restore the archived website,
   thanks to Jeremy's donation and Imran's heavy lifting and the wider team's
   input.
   8. It is my recommendation that the root details are transferred from
   Akinremi Peter for the website to Imran or a former co-coordinator.
   9. The website that was restored is basic archives and nothing new.
   10. It was our hope that following the elections that a call can be made
   under the direction of the coordinators to the Working Group to open call
   for improvements to the website on matters of content and other things.

Trusting that the matter is resolved.

Kind Regards,
Sala