[governance] Statement by IGC on Huan Qi's sentencing

Sun Aug 4 03:18:21 EDT 2019

Dear All,

Kindly find a revised draft, please feel free to suggest any changes as
this is still early drafting stages. I have numbered the sentences for ease
of reference and when commenting on replacements, refer to sentence number
and suggest edits and revisions.

*Revised Draft 4th August, 2019 12:13am [Californian Time]*

Proposed Revised  Draft

(1)The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus is deeply concerned by the
sentencing of Chinese webmaster and human rights activist Huang Qi to 12
years in prison for allegedly leaking state secrets when he was promoting
accountability and transparency and good governance.

(2) We note that China is a member of the United Nations Human Rights
Council this year.

(3) The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus calls on China to aspire
to subscribe to the Charter of the Internet Rights and Principles which was
developed by the Dynamic Coalition on Internet Rights and Principles within
the Internet Governance Forum and is available on the OHCHR website.

(4) We further note that Mr Huang Qi, was honoured by Reporters Without
Borders in 2004 with the Cyber Freedom Prize.

(5) Since setting up website, 64 Tianwang in 1998 to track human
trafficking cases, over the years, it has extended to reporting on persons
exploited by government officials and promoting good governance.

(6) Mr Huang Qi has greatly strengthened China as a country by bringing to
the foreground these good governance issues including but not limited to
corruption & human rights.

(7) It is our view that Huang Qi should be honoured as a strong contributor
to society.

(8) We urge the Chinese government to uphold its international commitments
related to fair trial guarantees and the rule of law.

(9)We call on China to recognize that Mr Huang’s actions are part of
keeping government accountable to the people.

(10) We call for the immediate release of Mr. Huang, and to allow him
access to his family, medical care, and legal counsel as soon as possible.

(11) We also call on China to end undue restrictions on the freedom of
movement of his family and those who assisted him.

ENDS