[governance] Statement by IGC on Huan Qi's sentencing

ian.peter at ianpeter.com ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Aug 4 00:04:25 EDT 2019

Oh I am glad you noticed that Farzaneh - our credibility for having
independent inputs is ruined if we either deliberately or accidentally
adopt such statements which fully mimic any government.

Here is the wording of the US statement - more than just the opening
paragraph, whole sections of our proposed wording are identical.
WTF.....

"The United States is deeply concerned by the sentencing of online
activist Huang Qi to 12 years in prison. Huang has been honored multiple
times by Reporters Without Borders for his courage in exposing
corruption and human rights violations in China through his website, 64
Tianwang.

The imprisonment of Huang Qi underscores China’s continued repression of
human rights and fundamental freedoms, including free speech.  We urge
the Chinese government to uphold its international commitments related
to fair trial guarantees and the rule of law.  We call on China to
immediately release Mr. Huang, and to allow him access to his family,
medical care, and legal counsel as soon as possible. We also call on
China to end undue restrictions on the freedom of movement of his family
and those who assisted him."

So I oppose repitition of any of these sentences or phrases. We can echo
the sentiments if we are in agreement with them, but our statement must
be our statement, not a copy of that of any government..

Ian Peter