[governance] [bestbits] Follow-on from survey on the future of Bestbits: next steps

Thu Apr 4 23:11:48 EDT 2019

I wasn't aware that it was formally decided by the Bestbits list to discuss
this list-wise. Posting a note here on a different problem. The  igcaucus.
org mailbox is NOT receiving messages, who is managing the Governance lists
please?

Sivasubramanian M <https://www.facebook.com/sivasubramanian.muthusamy>
twitter.com/shivaindia

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 8:03 PM Akinremi Peter Taiwo <compsoftnet at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Sivasubramanian,
>
> I think what was agreed was that the survey should be limited to Bestbit
> only and that the discussion about merging should be limited to each group.
> This would enable each group to do a kind of an independent assessment that
> would inform the decision of whether the group should cease or merge. Also,
> I could remember that some folks on the IGC group wants IGC to remain as it
> is.
>
> @Deirdre Williams I remembered I openly shared some contacts on the IGC
> list back then, which might be the privacy issue you are referring to.
> Aside of that, I don't think I was in the picture of any privacy issue that
> affected the group. Maybe Jeremy could throw more light on this.
>
> I could also remembered during the review of CSCG, part of our discussion
> was to accommodate regional civil society organization in the sphere of IG
> but the challenge of the individual wearing many hat remains.
>
> Regards.
> Peter
>
> On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 9:41 PM Sivasubramanian M <
> governance at lists.riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> With apologies for cross-posting, I see a limited response, only about 8
>> respondents.
>>
>> Is there a corresponding message on the IGC list?  Possibly the poll
>> announcement hasn't reached those who are subscribed only to the IGC list.
>> (or because the title of the message says "future of Bestbits" rather than
>> say "future of IG Civil Society".
>>
>> Sivasubramanian M
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 11:41 PM Sheetal Kumar <sheetal at gp-digital.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> It's been really great to see the level of engagement in these
>>> conversations about strengthening civil society coordination, and I know
>>> there's a lot of interest in not losing motivation. The conversations have
>>> been premised on a general interest in changing the current situation
>>> (namely Bestbits being inactive as a coordination network), and
>>> collectively finding ways to strengthen global civil society coordination
>>> on the issues we work on.
>>>
>>> Hopefully the conversations so far, and the survey which gathered a
>>> broader array of views, have been helpful. I attached a summary report of
>>> the survey in my last email. At the last IGF in Paris there was discussion
>>> of holding a meeting at RightsCon this year. Before we do that however, it
>>> would be good to discuss the responses to the survey and agree a way
>>> forward.
>>>
>>> I'm including a doodle below, with a suggested agenda. It would be great
>>> if you could fill it out by 29 March so I can confirm the date and set up a
>>> room.
>>>
>>> https://doodle.com/poll/vyfn2zdxzt8wqzis
>>>
>>> *Suggested agenda*
>>> 2) Suggestion of concrete ways forward