[governance] ARCEP includes the Zero Rating Map in its State of the Internet report

LB at lucabelli.net LB at lucabelli.net
Tue Jun 26 16:25:47 EDT 2018

Dear all, (apologies for cross-posting)

As you might know, ARCEP (the French Telecoms Regulator) has just released its "State of the Internet" report.

I am particularly pleased to let you know that the "Net Neutrality" part of the report features a section dedicated to the Zero Rating Map, whose beta version was launched at the IGF 2017 and that now includes information on Zero Rating and  Net Neutrality regulations in 90 countries. See http://zerorating.info/

It is, to my knowledge, the first time a national regulator includes a section on an IGF outcome in an official report. Besides being concrete evidence that the IGF is not a mere talking shop, this episode demonstrates not only that the IGF can produce concrete outcomes but also that those outcomes can be of concrete use for researchers, regulators and other stakeholders alike. Furthermore, I think it is a very positive sign that the Telecoms regulator of the IGF host country shows such interest for IGF outcomes.

The French version of the report is here https://www.arcep.fr/uploads/tx_gspublication/rapport-etat-internet-2018_conf050618.pdf
The English version is here https://www.arcep.fr/uploads/tx_gspublication/report-state-internet-2018_conf050618-ENG.pdf

The section dedicated to Zero Rating and the Minitelisation of the Internet (that I had the honour to author) is at page 69.
Further readings on the subject (all in open access) are indicated in the footnotes.

FYI, all IGF outcomes elaborated by the DCNN over the past years are also freely available here https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/dynamic-coalition-on-network-neutrality-dcnn?qt-dynamic_coalition_on_network_neu=4#qt-dynamic_coalition_on_network_neu

All the best
Luca

Luca Belli, PhD
Senior Researcher, Center for Technology & Society, FGV Rio de Janeiro
Chercheur Associé, Centre de Droit Public Comparé, Université Paris 2

Head of Internet Governance at FGV

internet-governance.fgv.br
@1lucabelli

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message, as well as any attached document, may contain information that is confidential and privileged and is intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of this email or attached documents, or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email by mistake.