[governance] [JNC - Forum] George Soros comments on Google and Facebook at Davos

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Wed Jan 31 13:38:34 EST 2018

I find this attachment to public utility regulation of the media to be fundamentally authoritarian and ahistorical; I see no evidence of real knowledge about what utility regulation is and how it actually works in practice. Whatever happened to civil society’s commitment to free expression?

The Chinese, Russian and Saudi governments all have similar attitudes towards social media and regulate content accordingly. And now, thanks to both left and right wingers in the West, we are getting lots of regulation of social media in the West, to purge it of alleged terrorist accounts, fake news, “security threats,” evil Russian influence operations, and so on. While I do not even use Facebook (imagine that! I have a choice!) and have my own issues with some Google policies, the idea that these companies are huge threats to my well-being and that the answer is control by an all-powerful state strikes me as self-evidently ridiculous.

Civil society groups on the left often fantasize that they will be the ones doing the regulating when they establish forms of centralized control. Got news for you: you will be standing in line behind a lot of other people. The agenda may not play out the way you expect. Before you call for these forms of regulation, let’s see some real economic analysis of how these industries are organized, and perhaps also some signs of effective and well-informed participation in existing forms of multistakeholder internet governance, where at least the environment is open to our participation.

By the way, why is it that when we compare these companies to oil companies no one talks about the state-owned “utility” oil companies in most of the world? Like what you see?

Dr. Milton Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology

[IGP_logo_gold block_email sig]<http://www.internetgovernance.org/>