[governance] IGF MAG 2018: NO NEWS

Ang Peng Hwa (Prof) TPHANG at ntu.edu.sg
Wed Jan 3 18:35:52 EST 2018

Hi.

> high time we consider duplicating the archive automatically incase if future errors.
I was doing some work about archiving and have since learnt that there are companies offering “dark archives” service. These are archives of archives. Here we are talking about serious archives—in the case, the National Archives of Singapore. Publishers apparently use the service too. The dark archive companies ensure that the files are not corrupted and always machine readable.

Ours will be small in scale but I can find out more information if the executive committee wishes.

Regards,
Peng Hwa ANG

From: <governance-request at lists.riseup.net> on behalf of Remmy Nweke <remmyn at gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 3 January 2018 at 5:11 AM
To: Chris Prince Udochukwu Njoku <udochukwu.njoku at unn.edu.ng>
Subject: Re: [governance] IGF MAG 2018: NO NEWS

Happy New Year

As we journey in this reconstruction of archive, may be is high time we consider duplicating the archive automatically incase if future errors.

Just thinking.

Remmy

On 3 Jan 2018 02:59, "Chris Prince Udochukwu Njoku" <udochukwu.njoku at unn.edu.ng<mailto:udochukwu.njoku at unn.edu.ng>> wrote:
So it's by error.  I think it's understood that the archive is really lost.

So, let's approve the reconstruction proposal, so that Tapani et al. can get to work. The sooner the better.

On Jan 3, 2018 12:05 AM, "Jeremy Malcolm" <jmalcolm at eff.org<mailto:jmalcolm at eff.org>> wrote:
On 2/1/18 11:47 am, Renata Aquino Ribeiro wrote:
> So no one has the login for the Digital Ocean server?
>
> Can't a letter to the company explaining the situation help recover it
> and give it to someone?
>
> Sounds easier than building a new archive from scratch from people's emails
No that's not the issue.  We have access to the server, but the archives
were deleted from the server at some time within the last few months, by
one of the volunteers who was trying to get the mailing list working again.

As to why he didn't tell anyone, he may not have realized what he had done.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122

---
To unsubscribe: <mailto:igc-unsubscribe at lists.riseup.net<mailto:igc-unsubscribe at lists.riseup.net>>

---
To unsubscribe: <mailto:igc-unsubscribe at lists.riseup.net<mailto:igc-unsubscribe at lists.riseup.net>>
CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it, notify us and do not copy, use, or disclose its contents.
Towards a sustainable earth: Print only when necessary. Thank you.