[governance] Proposal for IGC to formally respond to "Please Cameroon did not shut down the Internet !!!"

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 04:20:29 EST 2017

Norbert, I think we can certainly have a statement that starts with
recalling a number of relevant general principles and the formulation of
IGC principled position on the issue at hand. And then have the second part
of the statement focus on addressing the ISOC Chapter. (This is fair
enough, in my view, since we've been particularly alarmed by a comment the
chapter president made, which has triggered the move for the statement.
Whether the president was expressing the official position of the chapter
or not doesn't matter a whole lot, because the simple fact that he would
say that indicates that he would most probably not move the chapter, by
himself, to take a stance against what is happening in the country wrt
Internet access for all.)

This and the other approach suggested by Barry are indeed not exclusive.
But I suspect the latter will take more time, so that could be a longer
term strategy if there's consensus within the Caucus (not saying it will
necessary be very long to get it done, although it might.) In the meantime
we might want to put out a principled position.

My cents... I'll keep it at that whatever the Caucus decides.
Cheers!

Mawaki