[governance] [bestbits] Please Cameroon did not shut down the Internet !!!

Evelyn Namara evelyngeek at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 02:03:01 EST 2017

Dear all,

As a person who has been on the side of the shutdown, it is not right and
justifiable to shutdown the Internet, even for a few regions.
Mr. Janvier, your comments in this email hit me so hard. As a person who
has some level of authority, you should be concerned and fight for all
rights of all citizens.

The 6 million plus people who make up the 2 regions that are deprived of
the Internet also matter. Everyone matters, and like the Internet Society
always says "The Internet is for everybody".

Let's all fight and make leaders accountable.

I stand with the people of Cameroun.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Joash Moitui <joash.moitui at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you all.
>
> This is a vital interesting topic. Having lived in Cameroon for 3 years, I
> would say that the shutdown in these two region is no different from
> shutdowns witnessed in Uganda and Gambia for instance. It is simply the
> political elite using their political influence to prevent the human rights
> violations calling for federation in these areas. The two areas made up of
> Anglophones, who have been marginalized largely because of their language
> and their calls for federation have been met by internet shutdown and full
> force of security agents. It is this that the Cameroon government does not
> want to be easily distributed within the social media.
>
> Joash
>
> On 27 Jan 2017, at 10:56, Nonhlanhla Chanza <nonhlanhlachanza at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I still weep blood for those two regions. I have never been convinced by
> the argument that there might be circumstances that justifies a shutdown.
> So many places in turmoil and war in the world but people have access still
> to the Internet.
> On 26 Jan 2017 17:59, "Janvier NGNOULAYE" <jnoulaye at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi to all,
>> It seems to me that the problem of access to Internet in Cameroon is very
>> much amplified here on the Net. There are 10 regions in Cameroon, the
>> problem of access to the Internet is only concerning 2 Regions. These 2
>> regions actually has some political or social crisis. The government and
>> other stakeholders in these 2 areas are looking for suitable solutions.
>> Meanwhile, the government has seen fit to cut these two regions of Internet
>> access and Western Union money transfer services, for the sake of the
>> entire population of these 2 regions.
>> Internet works well everywhere else in the other 8 regions. I'm sending
>> this mail from Yaounde in Cameroon.
>> So the situation is not a disaster as some seem to publish on the Net.
>> The ISOC Chapter can only encourage the government and the other
>> stakeholders to seek lasting peace solutions, even if it involves a
>> temporary suspension of Internet and Western Union services.
>>
>> ISOC Cameroon Chapter
>> President

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Indeed, this is a terrible situation, which can happen in any country,
>>> which is why everyone should take action.
>>> I'd think bringing in ISOC and other organizations will help deepen
>>> these efforts.

Evelyn Namara | T: +256 754 440893 | E: enamara at riseup.net | Twitter:
@enamara <http://www.twitter.com/enamara> | Skype: enamara

PGP: B94D 3950 38D6 914A E054 D6C5 E82E 0F66 DC01 E30D