[governance] [bestbits] Please Cameroon did not shut down the Internet !!!

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Fri Jan 27 09:54:48 EST 2017

Thanks Joash for the explanation. This is what I expected when I heard of the shutdown. Such shutdowns are inherently rights violations. It allows political elites to assert blanket control over all communications and typically it is their own power and security, not the benefit of the population, that is advanced by these indiscriminate shutdowns. The tension between Anglophone and Francophone speakers in that country is well known and it’s inexcusable to see minority regions isolated and abused in this way.

Dr. Milton L Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy<http://spp.gatech.edu/>
Georgia Institute of Technology
Internet Governance Project
http://internetgovernance.org/

This is a vital interesting topic. Having lived in Cameroon for 3 years, I would say that the shutdown in these two region is no different from shutdowns witnessed in Uganda and Gambia for instance. It is simply the political elite using their political influence to prevent the human rights violations calling for federation in these areas. The two areas made up of Anglophones, who have been marginalized largely because of their language and their calls for federation have been met by internet shutdown and full force of security agents. It is this that the Cameroon government does not want to be easily distributed within the social media.

Joash