[governance] [Internet Policy] Trump on the IANA transition

Ayden FĂ©rdeline ayden at ferdeline.com
Thu Sep 22 04:36:19 EDT 2016

Hmm. Perhaps. Though, at the risk of being provocative, I will say that the Internet did start in the US and for quite some time it was very difficult to communicate online in a language which did not use Latin characters. Most of the websites that I use, at least, are owned by American companies (though I am aware that some of the biggest growth has been in non-US based Internet companies like WeChat). So while the Internet is not, of course, American, it would be easy to think it was if you only visited English language websites whose content is tailored to meet the expectations of audiences in the United States. Language and culture do impact our perceptions of what the Internet is.

Ayden FĂ©rdeline
[linkedin.com/in/ferdeline](http://www.linkedin.com/in/ferdeline)