[governance] ISOC-NY joins coalition of groups supporting the completion of the IANA Transition - hearing is Weds

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Mon Sep 19 17:28:11 EDT 2016

John, we are in violent agreement about most of the important issues.

But aside from the empirical validity of the analysis below, I am still not sure what is accomplished by telling us on this list that we should have finished the transition plan 16 months ago. As far as I am concerned, it should have happened 10 years ago. We all know what issues held the process up (separation of IANA from ICANN and membership - for which the ICANN board and staff are responsible; and role of governments, for which GAC and ALAC are responsible). Had we abolished the GAC as I have advocated for nearly a decade, Cruz et al would not have a leg to stand on in these debates. Without GAC it would be impossible to paint a plausible picture that we are giving the internet away to China, Russia et al. But I don’t think it’s relevant to point that out now.

We’re stuck with this year, this proposal, this method and I am still not convinced that it would have been easier last year.

Dr. Milton L Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy<http://spp.gatech.edu/>
Georgia Institute of Technology
Internet Governance Project