[governance] IGF Planning Retreat

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Mon May 30 16:32:44 EDT 2016

Just so it is clear – to date none of the CSCG coalition members has decided not to participate in choosing civil society candidates for the IGF Planning Workshop. So the CSCG Nomcom will, under these circumstances, be proceeding with its selections. Please also note that the deadline for CS endorsement is Tues May 31; so that we can meet the June 7 deadline. Details on how to do this are below.

Following from the announcement  a few days ago of the IGF Planning Retreat, CSCG has decided that, while being deeply concerned about the way this exercise has been announced and the timeframes being suggested for us to endorse suitable civil society candidates,  it will endorse suitable civil society names by the (June 7) deadline. We will use the best possible selection method we can in the circumstances of not enough time for a proper evaluation, and needing to do this while applications are still being received. Although this is not a satisfactory situation from our point of view, in the spirit of co-operating towards the introduction of better IGF processes for multistakeholder representation in the future, we will proceed as best we can.

What this means for civil society candidates seeking CSCG endorsement is that, in addition to completing the IGF form, you must also send an email to nomcom08 at internetgov-cs.org, informing CSCG of your nomination and a brief statement outlining why you are a suitable civil society representative for this planning retreat. However, please note – THE SUBMISSIONS TO CSCG MUST REACH THE MAILING ADDRESS ABOVE NO LATER THAN COB THIS TUESDAY (May 31)  - to allow us to also submit our recommendations by the IGF closing date of June 7.

So briefly – to seek CSCG endorsement for attendance at this workshop, you must submit an email to us at nomcom08 at internetgov-cs.org no later than COB on Tuesday, May 31. (and you must also apply via the IGF process outlined at http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/igf-retreat)

CSCG will make its recommendations taking into account the contribution nominees can make, as well as gender, geographic and political diversity.

If more information comes to hand, we will inform CS lists as soon as possible. But we do believe it is important to select a diverse and representative group of civil society attendees for this retreat, and will do the best possible in the circumstances to achieve this.

Ian Peter