[governance] IGF Planning Retreat

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed May 25 00:06:41 EDT 2016

I fully agree with Bill. It is not in keeping with the stated spirit of
the IGF to hold such a sudden meeting, with unclear motivations and
purpose, and methodology... Also, it is left vague if CS can self select
their reps for this meeting. But before that; what exactly is the
purpose, and other things highlighted  by Bill - like what would be the
status of the outcomes. And why written inputs were not invited - which
of course would first require to build an agenda, and a questionnaire
based on it. How closely was MAG involved in planning this? Did CS reps
ask for better participation in this meeting. If so, what was the response?

At least on the complete right to self select nominees, which is a part
of IGF's mandate from the UN now after UN GA's adoption of the report of
the WG on IGF improvement - we need to clearly put our foot down.... I
think it is time that CS learns to assert its legitimate soft power,
rather than as always meekly do the 'we have no option' 'better to
engage than notengage' act. Try saying for once, this is out bottom-line
and if we do not get it we do not participate. You go ahead. Youd see
what gains it brings to the CS's soft power in this area. However the
routine has been for the CS leadership to make some protest noises but
then simply submit to whatever is offered. Lets for once stand out
ground. Write a strong letter, and if we do not get a satisfactory
response, refuse to go along. UNDESA/ IGF cannot keep contravening what
are now the established rules of conduct for the IGF... I understand
that CSCG also wrote recently to the IGF sect. to explain how a part of
selection process of CS nomination for MAG was not transparent, which
violates the rules under which the IGF works, and I dont think we ever
got a reply. Instead, we now see a repeat of the process.

.. parminder