[governance] bot spam, was new methods

John Levine icggov at johnlevine.com
Sat May 21 12:36:59 EDT 2016

>Given the recurring problem, I suggest Garth cancels the current email's
>subscription and subscribe with a new email account. It seems telus.net
>is compromised and admins are not doing much to mitigate this.

It is very unlikely that Telus is compromised.  They're one of the
largest telephone and broadband providers in Canada.

It is much more likely that someone else's address book got stolen,
which contained Garth's address, and the addresses are now being
forged into spam sent from botnets in random places all over the world.

Mailing lists need to spam filter incoming mail, and if they don't,
there's not much to do other than reminding the list manager that
they need to do so.  I agree that telling people, hey, you might
just have gotten spam is not helpful.

R's,
John