[governance] Now business wants to lead policy making

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri May 13 17:05:38 EDT 2016

On Fri, 13 May 2016 20:05:33 +0000
"Mueller, Milton L" <milton at gatech.edu> wrote, in reply to a posting
from me:

> > Milton:
> >
> > Given that the notion of "movement forward" depends on a goal that
> > one would aim at achieving or at least an ideal that one would aim
> > at getting closer to (even if there is little or no hope of fully
> > achieving it), I would request you to please explain the goal or
> > ideal that you have in mind.
>
> Moving toward a more transparent environment and one that allows
> nongovernmental stakeholders to participate. --M

Thank you for explaining.

The goal which I'm pursuing is more complex: While I agree that it is
important to make the discourse processes fully transparency and
inclusive, and negotiation processes much more transparent than they
often are today, I also insist that the decision-making authority must
remain (or, where that is not the case now, be put) under the control
of formal democratic processes.

From the perspective of this more complex goal "democracy *and*
inclusive participation", a proposal that is aimed at increasing some
aspects of transparency and participation will be seen as a bad idea if
it involves undermining, as a side effect, fundamental principles of
democracy.

Greetings,
Norbert