[governance] Now business wants to lead policy making

Chris Prince Udochukwu Njoku udochukwu.njoku at unn.edu.ng
Fri May 13 13:27:05 EDT 2016

Dr. Mueller's second paragraph makes a lot of sense. Somebody like me would
always wonder why a body that makes policies for international trade
consists of only governments. Much, if not more, of cross-border trade is
done by the private sector whose inputs, I think, are necessary, just like
we all argue for multistakeholder approach to Internet policies.

One may sensibly argue that our national governments similarly alone make
policies that drive most things non-government people and bodies do in our
countries. Yes, but how many of those policies actually optimally benefit
the stakeholders excluded from the policy process? If WTO consults with
non-government stakeholders (for I don't know whether it does), that's OK
by me, but the matter of non-transparency raises much concern as it creates
the impression that any consultations with non-members might be ending in
"agree-on-one-thing-and-do-a-different-thing."

CPU

Sent from Magnum 7X smartphone