[governance] Parminder's nomination

federico nier-fischer fnf_comunicaciones at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 14 13:26:45 EDT 2016

Hola muy estimada lista de colegas,

please let me express full endorsement of Parminder's candidacy, not
just because of his creative and excellent performance in the context of
our list ... it is also because of his brilliant intellectuality
together with the strong engagement defending basic human rights as he
has demonstrated in so many discussions and publications. His socio-
cultural background in Asia/India will allow him best to fight for
basically democratic ways to share and represent the interests of so
dynamic, complex, multifacetic and pluricultural civil societies - that
means to really make use of the unique potential of Intenet for social,
economic, cultural and human development. On this point I explicitly
express my full solidarity with the "Substantive proposals ... how to
further implement
enhancend cooperation as envisioned in the Tunis Agenda"!!!

Keep on doing such good work! (or hasta la victoria siempre?) ...

federico nier-fischer
free lance journalist and former lecturer at the Universities of
Salzburg and Vienna, Austria

Am Mo, 14. Mär 2016, um 17:01, schrieb parminder:
> Hi All

    The linked doc carries most of the details required by the 4
    question format, but I thought one question may not be fully or at
    least directly addressed. And it may also be one of the most
    important ones. I have therefore updated the doc by adding the
    following paragraph. Please let me know if any clarification or
    further information is needed.  I believe that the stand/
    proposals made by civil society participants should be public and
    they should also commit to respond to clarification and other
    questions, and be ready to undertake a debate, about which I hear
    some positive views on this list. This is my primary purpose for
    posting this, and I very much comend the CCWG for putting forward
    this important question.

    (begins)

> _*Substantive
            proposals or a vision on “how to further implement enhanced
            cooperation as envisioned in the Tunis Agenda”*_

            lot of the text above tends to describe the vision I have in
            this regard. I will briefly summarise it here. When
            institutional form – whether extant or proposed new –
            becomes controversial, as the appropriate mechanism for
            addressing the much needed global Internet policies has
            become, we may need to start from the start. Function, in
            such a case, shouldprecede form, as is held to be the normal
            organisational wisdom. We have by now a good idea of the
            function. The first version of the Working Group on Enhanced
            Cooperation, and the follow-up CSTD secretariat report, did
            a good job of mapping global Internet related policy space.
            This may need to be worked upon a little more, especially in
            terms of bunching issues along institutional requirements,
            which is the work that the new group should begin with.
            Further, we have existing institutions like OECD's Committee
            on Digital Economy Policy, and Council of Europe's Steering
            Committee on Media and Information Society (and probably
            other supra-national agencies doing such work which I have
            not tracked), whose excellent work provides a very good and
            ever-growing list of international Internet-related public
            policy issues. Once, we are over this hump, and there is an
            agreement that there indeed exist very important global Internet-
            related public policy issues, it should not be difficult to
            look for and find the appropriate form. Like for all
            important functions of our social lives, the form that is
            agreed upon may not be perfect, but as long at it is
            appreciated that key policy issues do need a global level
            addressing, it should not be too difficult to move towards
            the most appropriate one, within the possible institutional
            forms. In this regard, the UN's long history of innovative
            new institutional forms (after all, the IGF came out if it)
            and the high degree of multistakeholder participativeness
            that otherwise characterises the Internet governance space
            together provide an excellent background to make progress. I
            am sure that this group will achieve what it has set out to
            achieve. If we even now fail to find the appropriate
            institutional mechanism to adequately address the myriad,
            urgent and important global Internet-related policy issues,
            the coming generations would not be kind to us in
            remembering our political role at this key formative time of
            the new social paradigm of an Internet-mediated society.

> (ends)

    parminder

      wrote:
>> Friends,

      IT for Change will like to propose the candidacy of Parminder to
      be a civil society participant of the re-enacted Working Group on
      Enhanced Cooperation.

      Parminder has been very active in enhanced cooperation debates
      since the very beginning. He has also played an important role in
      keeping the concept alive, developing various proposals around it.

      Parminder was the first to demand that a CSTD Working Group on
      Enhanced Cooperation be set up. And it is through his
      contributions that the subject of Enhanced Cooperation was
      discussed for the first time at the 2008 IGF.

      We have put together a note on his suitability for this role,
      which can be accessed here
      http://itforchange.net/Parminder_bio_WGEC-2.pdf

      Please let me know if you need any further information or
      clarification.

      Regards

      anita

>> --
>>
>> *Anita
                  Gurumurthy* | Executive Director
>> IT for Change[1]
>> (*In special consultative status with the
                  United Nations ECOSOC)*

                91-80-26654134

*

http://lists.igcaucus.org/info/governance To edit your profile and to