[governance] Conflict Management and Human Rights Workshop: Assistance Required

Shcherbovich Andrey dvbirve at yandex.ru
Fri Jun 3 17:46:44 EDT 2016

Dear colleagues!

THe Higher Schiool of Economics has a proposal of the Conflict Management and Human Rights on the Internet Workshop.

We would like to ask if it is relevant\interesting for the IGF this year.

If you would like to join the workshop, please indicate yourself and we will add you into the speakers list

1. Workshop Format. Please click here for a description of available Workshop Session Formats.
Note: In an effort to enhance participation, workshop proponents are encouraged to use formats other than the panel format. If you would like to use the panel format, you must provide a background paper motivating your preference for a panel format (at Part 14 below).
Roundtable

Specify the duration of proposed workshop.
Note that different formats have different durations – check the duration options here
30 minutes (Flash Session or BoF formats only)
60 minutes
90 minutes

2. Which of the IGF 2015 subtheme does your proposed workshop fall under?
Internet and Human Rights

3. Title of proposed workshop (60 characters):
Conflict Management & Human Rights on the Internet

4. Provide concise description of proposed workshop, including a specific statement of the Internet governance problem, question or challenges to be addressed (max 250 words):
Today, when the most of the content is user-generated, conflicts on the Internet, and conflicts between users, are unavoidable. Serious conflicts could affect users’ rights, especially freedom of expression and information. In response, national jurisdictions impose difficulties on different websites. We should ensure a balance between the control of information (like censorship) and minimizing harm caused by internet-based conflicts.

Conflict management in the Internet offers a structuration of rights: the right to protection of privacy, intellectual property rights, the right to personal dignity, protection against fraud network users. There are interesting aspects of the understanding of the conflict (it is the nature of inter-territorial and inter-jurisdictional), procedural mechanisms for conflict resolution, preventive measures for conflict prevention. In addition to the legal principles and rules like the rule of law, justice, etc. We will apply specific guidelines proposed by the Internet communities.

For that reason, we should reconsider user agreements of the web resources for human rights protection and conflict management. In case of the internet-based conflict user should be protected from threats and illegal behavior of the other users. This is the one of the most complex issues of the Internet Governance, when different legislations and different jurisdictions applied. Clear rules must be developed to ensure realization of users’ rights on the Internet in case of conflicts.

5. Name, stakeholder group (civil society; government; intergovernmental organization; private sector; technical community), and organizational affiliation of workshop proposal co-organizer(s):

[Example]

Andrey Shcherbovich
Academia
National Research University Higher School of Economics

6. Have you, or any of your co-organizers, organized an IGF workshop before?
Yes

http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/wks2014/index.php/proposal/view_public/15

http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/2013/scripts/wks2013/report_view.php?xpsltipq_je=46

http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/2013/scripts/wks2013/report_view.php?xpsltipq_je=31

http://wsms1.intgovforum.org/content/no134-human-rights-internet-legal-frames-and-technological-implications#report

If yes, provide the link to the workshop report:
Note: Workshop proponents that have held a workshop in a previous IGF were required to have submitted a workshop report following that IGF. Proposals submitted by those who held workshops in the 2013 or 2014 IGF, but who failed to file a workshop report afterwards, will be declined

7. Provide up to five subject matter hashtags that describe your workshop (e.g. #privacy, #diversity, #security):
#governance #user_agreements #humanrights #conflicts #communities

8. Describe how you plan to facilitate and encourage discussion amongst speakers, audience members and remote participants (max 250 words):
Initial speakers will make a short presentation of their viewpoints. Than moderator will guide them by basic questions outlined in the background paper. Participants would be encouraged to answer those questions. Public onsite and remote hub connected to the workshop would be able to express their opinion or ask a question for clarification to the roundtable participants. Finally, the Rapporteur would make a conclusion on discussion.

10. Name(s) of in-person Moderator(s) (if any):
Dr. Svetlana Maltseva

11. Name(s) of Remote Moderator(s):
Dr. Julia Taratukhina

12. Name(s) of Rapporteur(s):
Note: The purpose of the Rapporteur is to observe the session and to synthesize the discussion into a standard report format, which is outlined here
Dr. Andrey Shcherbovich

13. Describe your plan for promoting and encouraging efficient remote participation:
As we made previously on the HSE workshops in 2012, 2013 and 2014 we would connect a remote hub to the session. This hub based in Moscow, Higher School of Economics. Practice shows that this is interesting for other hubs in academic institutions worldwide. In addition, we reserve an option for speakers to participate online in remote mode in case some of them would be unable to be present onsite.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Dr. Andrey A. Shcherbovich
Lecturer, Department of Constitutional and Administrative Law,