[governance] Invite: Discussion at IGF on Internet Social Forum

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Wed Dec 7 17:39:08 EST 2016

Dear colleagues

To all those of you who are at the IGF in Guadalajara we would like to
invite you to an informal discussion on the idea of convening an
Internet Social Forum that will take place on Thursday, 8 December.

A year or so ago a broad group of organizations and networks started to
explore the idea of convening an Internet Social Forum. The value of
such a Forum would be to provide a space for a diversity of social
movements and civil society actors to exchange and explore common
agendas to rebuild a more human, democratic and less
concentrated/centralised internet.

Such a thematic forum would be part of the World Social Forum process
and will be organized under the WSF’s general principles and format,
including the idea of extension and on-going process (i.e. not limited
just to the face-to-face event).

It would not be a substitute for civil society participation and
pre-meetings at the IGF. We of course still need those. It would provide
us with a space to deepen our analysis and share critical perspectives
in ways that would enrich our advocacy in other spaces.

Those now in Guadalajara who interested in learning more about the plans
for convening such an event are invited to join an open discussion.

When: Thursday 8 December 2016
Where: Meeting room next door to the
Morales Hotel (Avenida Ramon Corona in the historical centre).
Time: 19h30

Anriette

(On behalf of members of the provisional planning group present in
Guadalajara)

PS This meeting just prior to the APC party which you are also all
invited to :)

If you want to attend the APC party please register at:

https://crm.apc.org/civicrm/event/info?id=28&reset=1
Anriette Esterhuysen
Executive Director
Association for Progressive Communications
anriette at apc.org
www.apc.org
IM: ae_apc